Employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance for all employers. In Virginia, you can get both medical and wage loss benefits, provided you complete the necessarily formalities. While hiring a workers’ comp lawyer Virginia is not mandatory to present your case; you should still consider seeking legal help. Here are the pros and cons at a glance before you make the decision.
- If you don’t understand how the workers’ compensation system works, hiring a lawyer is better than handling things on your own. You need to focus on your recovery, and having a legal team on your side always allows the time you need.
- Your lawyer can help handle tricky situations. The insurance company will do its best to try tactics and tricks to deny your claim. Your lawyer can see through such tricky situations and ensure that you get a fair settlement.
- While it is foolish to expect insurance companies to be empathetic, when you hire an attorney, it sends a strong message. There is a higher chance that the claims adjuster will take you seriously.
- Data shows that hiring an attorney helps injured workers in getting higher settlements. It also depends on your situation, but you can certainly expect a better outcome as lawyers are skilled at negotiations.
- You don’t have to pay an attorney right away. Workers’ compensation attorneys usually charge a contingency fee, which is payable when you win. In other words, you can always minimize your financial burden for now.
- Most attorneys also offer free consultations for injured workers. You can expect them to deal with the process efficiently as per the situation, but they will usually offer genuine advice on what you should do and things you need to avoid.
On the flip side
- Hiring an attorney means you have to give up on a share of the settlement, which can be a bummer. However, that amount is only payable after you have won a settlement. Asking the attorney about the fees and expenses in advance is a good idea.
As you may have guessed by now, hiring an attorney for your workers’ compensation claim has more benefits than disadvantages. Even if you pay the lawyer a share of the settlement, you are still on the winning side, and that’s a huge advantage. Check online now to find more on top-rated workers’ compensation lawyers in Virginia.